Marathon Half-Day Tour: A Battle, A Race…
Do you know the history of Marathon Races? It is time to discover where it began. The legend of the soldier who ran 26 miles from Marathon to Athens.
- 7-hour tour to Marathon with a professional guide
- Visit the majestic Marathon Tomb & the archaeological museum of Marathon
- Learn about the historic battle of Marathon that took place in 490BC
- Enjoy unique views & marvel at the verdant natural beauty from the lake Marathon
- Visit Panathenaiko Stadium which hosted the first modern Olympics
- Marathon Half-Day Tour: A Battle, A Race
- This is an alternative tour for those who want to visit something different in the Attica area. Everyone knows the Marathon Races all over the world and many of you have dreamed to participate in one of them, but do you know the history behind? You can now discover the place, where everything began…
Following the route of the Authentic Marathon race, we will visit the Marathon Tomb, the resting place of 192 soldiers who died in the Battle of Marathon. Your guide will explain everything for this bloody battle that took place in 490 BC during the first Persian invasion of Greece.
Next visit is the archaeological museum of Marathon. There, if we are lucky, we will have the unique experience to visit the secret attraction that few people had the chance to visit in the past, the Tomb of 11 soldiers from Platees were buried.
After a short stop at the site where the marathon race originated, listen from your guide the fascinating legend of the soldier who ran 26 miles from Marathon to Athens to announce that the Persians had been defeated before he collapsed and died. Following, you will enjoy a short drive to Lake Marathon, a reservoir surrounded by verdant natural beauty. Here, we will have the chance to do a short stop for a snack at the cafe (own expense) and stroll leisurely toward Marathon Dam. Entirely paneled in pristine white marble, it is the world’s only marble dam.
in our way of return to Athens we will visit the Panathenaiko Stadium & its museum, which hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the first modern Olympics in 1896. It is also the finishing point for the annual Athens Authentic Marathon.
Comfortable walking shoes, sun glasses, hat and loose fitted clothing are strongly recommended. If you need additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Transportation by luxury A/C bus
- Professional and licensed guide
- Hotel pick up/drop off service
- Gratuities (optional)
- Personal expenses
- Entrance fees (13 € per adult)
- Everything that is not specifically mentioned in the "Included" section
In order to forward us your reservation request and for further information and assistance, please, contact us at [email protected].
GreeceTours.com – Seretis Travel Ike.
Email [email protected]
61 Panepistimiou Ave. (El.Venizelou Ave), Omonoia Sqr., 10564, Athens
Tel +30 210 3241776, +30 210 32 51 295
Mob./Viber/WhatsApp: (+30) 6974823355
- Monday – Friday | 09:00 – 17:00
- Saturday | 10:00 – 15:00